Hank

Okay, some of you may have read alittle about this one in my post on the Tigerhomes sanctuary forum. You finally get to meet Hank. By looking at this dog you would think there is nothing special about this dog....he looks like an ordinary mixed breed. Let me tell you about Hank, he is one friendly, affectionate and unusual dog. Just under 2 years old, this dog has a thing about concrete floors. He just doesn't like them for some reason. As you can see in the pic he has what appears to be a blue blanket laying in his temporary housing at the shelter. Well when I went out there the other day something just made me stop and visit with Hank. He appeared to be alittle frightened and kind of backed away from me. Well that just made me want to visit with him more so I went in the door and he came right up to me and he tail started wagging like crazy. This dog must just not have gotten the attention he so deserves. He just wanted someone to spend time with him and I was going to make sure that person was me. Most volunteers at the shelter look for the cutest dogs or whatever to spend time with and must've just passed Hank by cause by looking at him you would not really see anything special about him. But I saw this dog in a different light. I immediately sat on the floor with him and he was all over me...giving me doggy kissies and just being very affectionate. Well that is not even the beginning....I wanted him to go outside with me, so i hooked him up on the leash and checked it like we are supposed to do to make sure they are not too tight and not too loose so they won't get away should they see another dog outside or squirrels they want to go after. Well I opened the door and started walking but Hank just stood there....He seemed like he was scared and didnt' want to go. I kept calling him and squatting down so i would be on his level and his tail kept wagging but he would not move. This I could tell was not going to be easy but I was prepared to spend all day with him if I had too. One of the shelter workers came and stopped by and advised me that Hank doesn't like the floor and if I want him to go outside that he has to be picked up and carried outside. Now this dog weighs maybe 40 lbs, so that wasn't bad at all so after the worker and I talked for afew minutes I picked Hank up and took him to the door where there was rug at the exit and sat him down. I opened the door to go out and he immediately perked up and was totally fine! We spent afew minutes outside and we had a time....I sat on the ground after we walked around for afew minutes and he would just sit or lay by me as close as he could. Talk about making your heart melt. I wanted to take this one home. After our play time was up we went back to the door and you guessed it...I had to pick him back up to get him inside....he wouldn't go any farther than the little red rug. Once inside his pen, I pushed his food bowl over to him and he immediately began to eat. He slowly went to get water but had to step off the rug in order to do this so he was really paranoid about doing this. So I fixed his rug where he could reach the food and the water and then sat back down and he came over and laid his head in my lap. People, these little things like this are what make what I do all worth it. I would not trade it for anything.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home